Sunday, March 23, 2014

Frost Danger--Plum Tree Protection


Greetings Friends,

Today is the 23rd of March, 2013.  Tonight the temperature is projected to drop to 30F.  As you can see one of our plum trees has enjoyed the last week or so of mid temperatures.  It has blossomed about 2-3 weeks early.  I needed to protect this plum because Lynne will be producing home-made plum jelly this year.

This will be a step-by-step post, but use your own creativity to come up with your own solutions.  I learn from others on projects like this, but always modify it to my own needs and available materials.

CLICK ON ANY IMAGE FOR A SLIDESHOW OF THIS POST


The first step for most projects is to figure out how you will accomplish the task and what materials you will need.  As you can see from this image, I intentionally left out a tarp, hammer and stakes.  I do this because I don't want you to follow what I do all of the time.  I feel it is CRITICAL for each of us to take examples, analyze it and adapt it to our own.  As you can see I am using bamboo.  I am blessed that I have my own, sustainable bamboo groves for projects like this.  If you don't have your own grove, find one and ask the property owner for some cuttings.  Most will be willing for you to harvest all you like.  If you do this, take an offering for trade.  Home-canned goodies always seem to do the trick.


Here you can see me trimming the tips of the bamboo with some heavy-duty garden shears.  I cut the tips to keep it from punching through the sheet and tarp.



Next, I begin to wicker the bamboo into the main branches of the tree.  I will put one near the center and four around the perimeter.



I use the roll of jute cord shown in the photo above.  I picked up a big roll which is considered bailing twine.  I wrap and tie the bamboo to the branch.


 Here is a closeup of hoe I tie the bamboo to the branch.



I try to find a bamboo stick that will protrude about 2-3 inches from the tips of the branches.


 For those bamboo sticks that are too long, I flip it over and measure where I need to cut the stick.


I use loppers to cut the bamboo stick to length


I continue the process of laying in the bamboo to support the sheet and tarp.


I extended this one to accommodate the branches above this one.



Another view of adding the bamboo.


Almost ready to add the sheet.


I use a length of bamboo and allow the wind to help me drape the sheet over  the bamboo.


I know you were wondering my I had clothespins in the 2nd photo right?  I use them to hold the sheet in place while I add the heavier tarp over the top of the sheet.  These will stay in place while I am protecting the tree.


I stretch the tarp out and tie jute cord to the corner grommets.  I also pound some stakes in the ground and tie off the cord.




Here, you can see how I tied it down.




OK, so now you may have some questions.  Please feel free to ask in the comment section.

If you think others can use this information, please share the link to our blog.  If you want future updates, be sure to subscribe to our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment